Sunday, July 29, 2007

Huggies


"Mummy, give me a hug" - these are the favourite words of one of my kids. Normally, people would assume the request comes from the younger child. But heck no. This is Joshua's (the older child) motto, and he says it every time he sees me. Well, almost.

Sometimes, I don't know whether to be flattered or frustrated. I mean, Joshua is six and yet he is a tad too clingy with me. I detest the term "mummy's boy" but he seems to be turning himself into one. I have no part in it. I want him to be more independent. I don't want to be the mother hen fussing over him all the time.

He is the exact opposite of his younger sister. Joanne is fiercely independent and doesn't give two hoots whether I give her a hug or not. The thing is, after seeing her brother asking for a "huggie", she won't even ask for one. She is pretty cool about this huggie business. Of course, she is so adorable I'll just give her a bear hug anyway.

I suppose I shouldn't be complaining. Children are children for such a short time. Once they hit their teens, they probably don't want to be seen in my company. So maybe I should just shut up and enjoy the huggies sessions while they last.

1 comment:

Anthony said...

A hug is the exchange of warmth, usually arising out of joy or happiness...enjoy it lar... Ah KAK