Friday, August 24, 2007

Daffodil Day Teddies

Today is Daffodil Day, a day dedicated to raising funds for cancer patients and cancer research. Joshua's school has actively participated in this event, selling a range of items to raise funds this week. The kids were even encouraged to don something yellow instead of their uniforms.

For the past few days, I kept hearing Joshua telling me about some cute teddies the school is selling. I had no idea he actually wanted to buy one of those until yesterday when he finally told me that today would be the last day. The poor boy. I told him he should've just told me he wanted a teddy. Since it's for a good cause, I wouldn't have minded forking out $5.

To my surprise, he said he didn't say so earlier because he was worried I didn't have money. Once more, my emphasis on being thrifty has paid off. A bit sad, though, when my son took such a long time to tell me what he wanted!

Anyway, he was really thrilled to have the money to buy the teddy. After dropping him at school, I took Joanne to Box Hill Centro to do some grocery shopping. And there was a stall selling teddies and other items in conjunction with Daffodil Day as well. Joanne knew Joshua was getting a teddy. So she asked for one too. A good cause. So I readily parted with my money in exchange for a teddy. Joshua would be surprised to see another similar teddy, Joanne quipped.

When we went to pick up Joshua later in the day, he wore a forlorn and sad look. The teddies were sold out! Poor thing. He had been so looking forward to getting one. Luckily, we had another one that we got from the mall. Joanne showed him her teddy - which I insisted should be THEIR teddy.

The kids agreed to share the teddy. And they are playing with it as I'm writing this. Funny how things turned out, huh? If I hadn't gone for my grocery shopping I wouldn't have bought a Daffodil Day teddy for Joanne. And Joshua would probably be very disappointed not being able to get his at school.

I'm just glad they are happy sharing it.

2 comments:

Tan said...

The story great! The whole world should read about it.
Koh Koh and me got 2 Spawn robots today - one is a Hellspawn. A warrior from the depths of hell!
Does Joshua like robots?

weiyin69 said...

What story is that? Yes, Joshua loves robots but I don't think he's heard of Spawn robots. He only knows the Transformers!