Monday, August 06, 2007

Saved By The Ring

I've always known everything happens for a reason. And what happened last night at my parents' house in my hometown in Bukit Mertajam bore testimony to that.

I usually make my weekly phone call to my parents on Sunday evening. And for some reason, I delayed my call for half an hour last night. And that turned out to be a good thing. My 2 sisters were there too and were just leaving when I called. They were already at the gate, getting ready to get in the car. But they went back into the house when they heard that it was me on the phone because they too wanted to have a chat with me.

My youngest sister Wei Wei promptly left her handbag for her husband CP to hold. As he hung around outside the gate, he noticed a motorbike approaching him. As it got nearer the pillion rider stood up, trying to snatch the bag from CP! Good thing he was alert and managed to foil the snatch theft attempt.

I shudder to think if it was Wei Wei standing out there with her handbag. So waif-like, she would have been pushed to the ground and probably got hurt when the 2 goons made their move. Fortunately it was CP, who's bulit like a truck (meant to be a compliment), was standing there instead.

My mother got a little overwhelmed by the incident. Who wouldn't? Our conversation was mostly about the foiled attempt. I couldn't help feeling how fortunate that I am here in Melbourne where such crimes are rare. At the same timeI feel bad for my family in Malaysia who have to face this threat regularly.

I also like to think that I saved the day. But I know deep down my late call happened for a reason. After all, God works his miracles through people and incidents. So this must be one of them.

1 comment:

anfield devotee said...

Very lucky indeed. The price to pay for staying in this wondeful, peaceful, wealthy, prosperous etc nation of ours. No wonder Pak Lah fooked off to Australia as well.