Sunday, August 26, 2007

Tse Hao & Tse Yuen

Long before my own kids were born, I was very close to two other very special kids - my nephews Tse Hao and Tse Yuen, sons of my second sister Sue Yin.

I used to visit them almost every weekend. Then I started going out with Alex. The first few times Alex came along for the visits, Tse Hao would burst out crying! For some strange reason, the boy didn't like Alex on sight. We always joked that probably because the kid could see horns sprouting from Alex's head! The younger boy, Tse Yuen, seemed more partial to Alex's presence.

Then I got married and had Joshua and Joanne. The four kids got along famously. My regular visits to my sister's house continued until we migrated to Melbourne last year. My kids miss them and they appear to miss my kids too.

So I was thrilled when I started receiving their emails. They are big kids now, 11 and 9 respectively. It's always nice to hear from them. Tse Hao, the more flamboyant of the 2, is now sort of "inventing" his own version of the English language. It takes a bit of head scratching to decipher what he's talking about. My other sister Hui Yin describes the language as a disgrace. Which is quite true. But as long as the boy knows exactly how those words are supposed to be spelt and he doesn't do that with his homework and exams, I guess it's okay. He's pretty bright actually but somehow loves appearing silly. Beats me!

Tse Yuen, the younger one, appears to be more mature between the two. He has a big heart and always thinks of the welfare of others first. He gets worried if somebody spends too much money on something. He also would let Joshua "win" from time to time whenever they played. And Joanne just adored him, always holding his hand whenever they went out somewhere together. Fantastic traits from a 9-year-old, don't you think?

Well, I hope Joshua and Joanne will be able to exchange emails with them soon. For now, I'll have to help them type out their messages. Still, isn't the Internet great? It's so much easier to stay in touch with loved ones now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The 2 kids miss you and their cousins too. The photo that you uploaded was the one taken when rizal and I took them to San Francisco steakhouse for Ah Yuen's birthday dinner. The waitor actually thot that i was their mom...hehe. He was talking to rizal as if rizal was their step father coz rizal was reprimanding Tse Hao for doing his usual nonsense.

weiyin69 said...

Ha ha ha. That was funny! I'm sure you guys get funny looks all the time whenever you took the boys out without their parents. PPl must be trying hard to work out the relationship between the 4 of you! Heh heh heh.