Monday, September 10, 2007

Locked Out!

I had quite a scare today. While I was out in the garden pulling out the weeds that threaten to turn my backyard into a jungle, Joanne actually locked the door leading to the garden. I didn't know that until much later, when I needed to go back into the house for some other chores.

To my horror, the door was locked. I peered into the house (the door is sliding glass door). No sign of Joanne. She must either be in the playroom or her bedroom. I could only get near the window of the playroom, which is quite a few metres up from the garden. Hoping that she was there, I used a rake to reach the window and gave a few hard knocks. She didn't appear at the window. Which meant she was in her bedroom. Which was bad news for me because her bedroom is on the other side of the house. And there was no way for me to get to that side unless I scaled the garden fence.

Luckily, there was one way to get to the front door and ring the doorbell. That would get her running to the front door to see who was out there. I went to the backdoor of the garage, which thankfully has never been locked, got into the garage and then climbed out of one of the windows there. If someone had passed by that window at that moment, they probably thought they had stumbled on a burglar climbing out of a window!

Thank heavens no one saw me doing that. I quickly jumped down and ran to the frontdoor and rang the bell. The little one appeared, looking very bewildered to see me outside. I asked for the house keys and got them from her through the front window. Phew!

That was quite a fright. After making sure Joanne understand that she is not to lock the door when I am outside, I decided from now on to take the house keys with me if I'm outside the house. I certainly don't want to repeat that burglar stunt again!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Locking your elders out seem to be a trait that runs in the family. remember when we were staying in Langkawi and i locked grandma in the kitchen? dunno why the lock refuse to budge when i tried to unlock the door. hehe. had to go call the pakcik in dad's office to come and open the door. grandma was freaking out in the kitche.

anfield devotee said...

if the police had seen you, they would have thought you were the chinese acrobat from Ocean's 11!

PS: have u seen the Gogol bordello video on me blog? What d'ya think of em? I think they are fooking awesome!

weiyin69 said...

yeah, i remember the kitchen lock out incident. ha ha.

anfield: i'm not that agile ... and no haven't seen the video yet. it'd better be entertaining ...