Monday, October 15, 2007

No More Paradise

A couple of days ago I overheard two women of Chinese descent at the grocery shop talking about visiting other countries. I missed the earlier part of their conversation but caught the part about countries not to visit.

One of them said Thailand should be avoided because of some unrest in the southern part of the country. She then added that Malaysia wasn't a good place to visit as well. "Too chaotic and not safe," she said in Cantonese.

I nearly jumped and came to Malaysia's defense, proclaiming that my country of origin was one of the safest countries in the world. Then I stopped myself before I made an utter fool of myself.

After all, Malaysia has not been a safe haven for quite some time. It's true there are no unrest or riots (not that I'm aware of or these are not reported in the papers) there but the crime rates have escalated at alarming speeds lately. I keep hearing stories of petty crimes being committed even in small towns like my hometown in Bukit Mertajam.

And in Cheras, where my inlaws are still living, the situation has gone so bad the residents there feel like they are sitting on a time bomb, each wondering when someone would break into their homes. In fact, their neighbour 2 houses away just fell prey to some intruders last week.

Visitors may shy away from Malaysia thinking it's not safe because of terror threat or political unrest. But they have no idea what wise move it is to bypass Malaysia. They probably would have gone home much poorer if they are unfortunate enough to have their pockets picked.

It's sad but true. Malaysia is no longer the paradise it used to be.

2 comments:

anfield devotee said...

In me humble opinion, its not political upheaval (eg riots, demonstrasi etc) or plain old thrievery that's keeping tourists away.

Its the plain old bullshit system and its in-built abuses. Remember the naked squats case in PJ balai? It was widely reported that victim was Chinese tourist.
Or how bout pub owners in Cheras putting up signs in mandarin that Chinese nationals are NOT allowed onto premises coz they are ALL prostitutes.
If you are Indian, Burmese or even Filipono tourist, there's chance you could be hauled up as a illegal immigrant by our over zealous authorities.
The list goes on . . . fooking sad.

PS: Still traumatised by Celtic Frost & Obituary? He he

weiyin69 said...

Yeah, you're right. i forgot about that! hmm, only tourists with white skin are treated like gods ... yes, permanently traumatised now!