Thursday, October 18, 2007

What A Day

Hooray! Crash! Sob ...

That about summed up my day yesterday. It was supposed to be a happy day for Joanne. It was her first Prep Orientation Day at Greythorn Primary School and she had looked forward to it for days. She even willed herself to recover from her tummy upset (bouts of diarrhoea the night before) so that she wouldn't miss her "big day". I was so glad because she was so much easier compared to Joshua.

It was a good day for her. I picked her up from the school and everything was fine until I, for some inexplicable reason, engaged the wrong gear and crashed out car through our garage door when we got home. I had moved the car too close to the door and tried to reverse it back further. Instead I put the gear into "drive" and literally went through the door.

The windscreen cracked but thankfully didn't shatter. I panicked and frantically searched the phone to call Alex at work, knowing that he would be furious. Oh boy, he was beyond furious and immedately headed home.

Joanne was so cool. She nonchalantly said, "Oh no. How are we going to pick up Joshua later?" Trust the kid to be so unconcerned. She wasn't even shaken, unlike me.

I was both relieved and terrified when Alex got home. He took one look at the damage - the car was halfway through the garage entrance with the door on top of the hood and roof of his precious Mazda CX-7 - and a torrent of very angry words came out of his mouth. I suppose I deserved it, for not being careful enough. But he pissed me off too. He never even asked if Joanne was okay. Blast him! (He probably didn't find that important since I already told him no one was hurt.)

After making several calls to his car dealer, the insurance company and some of his friends, Alex drove the badly dented car to the workshop. I had to drag Joanne along to catch a bus to pick up Joshua later. Well, looks like we will be doing that for a couple of weeks.

And the damage was BIG. AUD10K just to fix the car. And the garage door, of course. That was really bad.

And to complete a really bad day, Joanne's stomach ache came back later in the day. She made so many trips to the toilet in the middle of the night and kept whimpering in pain that we both didn't get much sleep. She seems better today. Thank God for small mercies.

What a day! I hope I won't have any of its equivalent any time in the future.

6 comments:

Bernard said...

Ai Say Aunty! Nevermind-la, accidents do happen. What's important is that no one was hurt in the incident. Money can fix up the garage & car but if anyone was hurt, sometimes no amount of money can fix it up.

I'm not saying this just to cheer you up as I've been involved in some car crashes too. Ask Bala about the time when I tried to drive upside down....

Things could be worse...like having your car stolen which was exactly what happened to me on Wednesday. More details in my blog on Saturday. (No time to do it now...at work maa!!)

Hope your daughter get well soon!

weiyin69 said...

thanks bernard for the kind words! no one is hurt that's true. still it was careless of me. err, how does one drive upside down? you had your car stolen? hmm will read about it soon.

joanne is much better now. thanks again.

anfield devotee said...

how you drive upside down? falling asleep at the wheel after 20-odd whiskeys ought to do it.

Sorry to hear bout yer damaged car. Told u to go buy an old second hand MG or some funky Mini to drive around, tak mau. Mesti lan si with big ass Mazda.

Shit happens la but I do suggest you go buy yer hubby a nice gift to calm him down. A new car should do the trick!

weiyin69 said...

ahlo, not my idea to buy the car in the first place. he wanted it, not me. and he refused to get me an old junk.

anfield devotee said...

that's the problem with fooking snobs like you, why does a MG or a Mini have to be an "old junk" . . .?

Bernard said...

"Old Junk"? It could very well be a Rat Paradise too like what's happened to my Mini. Its being 'pimped up' though even as I'm typing this & will not be any 'Old Junk Rat Paradise' when its done!