Thursday, November 01, 2007

I'll Be Darned!

"Who farted??! It's so smelly!"

"Oh no! Not an old bus again!"

"Hey, that's the same bus driver we had yesterday!"

"That woman with a fat tummy isn't really fat because she is having a baby!"

"That car is so ugly and old!"

I have to endure listening to my 2 kids babbling loudly like this between themselves while riding on the bus. Kids being kids, and we all know how downright painfully honest they can be sometimes, they just blurt out whatever that's on their mind without thinking.

Of course, I do my best to hush them, telling them to keep their voices down while talking in public. Naturally, they don't get it most of the time. They just make any passing comments whenver they stumble on something that deserves some kind of mention, usually the more unflattering kind.

One of my biggest fears is to hear them commenting loudly about somebody's disabilities. Disabaled people in Australia are very independent and frequently move about and board public transport on their own. Many of them have cerebal palsy or severe obesity and therefore physically look unusual.

I'm so worried the kids would say someone looking ugly or stupid. But thankfully, they haven't embarrassed me like that, yet. Maybe they instinctively know it's not right to comment about others' misfortune and disabilities. If so, maybe the kids aren't so clueless about life after all.

Until we have the car back, I'll have to hope Joshua and Joanne will lower their voices when making commentaries on the bus, and pray they NEVER, EVER say someone is ugly because of one reason or another. I don't fancy getting killer stares from strangers!

2 comments:

Bernard said...

Kids are honest & will call a spade a spade. Can't blame them for that can you? In any case, I'm sure in certain situations you're likely to agree with their comments the difference being that you dare not express it in the way they do, however brutal the truth may be!!

weiyin69 said...

well, that's quite true ... and can lead me into hot soup if i'm not careful!