Monday, November 19, 2007

Invasion Of The Flies

Gosh, I detest flies! And there are so many of them around these days. For the uninitiated, flies abound here during prolonged hot seasons. And since it's almost summer and the temperature has been soaring way past 30 degrees of late, flies thrive, making a nuisance of themselves.

They are real pests with a penchant of making pit stops at various points of your face, notably the eyes, nose and mouth. Disgusting! Sometimes I feel like a corpse with those tiny buggers hovering and buzzing around me.

Back in Malaysia, we always joke that if flies buzz around you, that means you stink, literally. Well, you don't have to stink here to attract flies during summer. Apparently, the flies attach themselves to humans and other animals because they are drawn to the moisture in the eye, nose and mouth. No wonder they don't follow the food crumbs I toss about to stop them from harrassing me!

And guess what? There are 10,000 to 30,000 types of flies in Australia during summer. 30,000! What a staggering number of pests. And some of them feast on blood too. Gross! And how do you tell them apart? Apparently, according to one fly expert, they have "different lifestyles". Duh? Flies have lifestyles?? Don't they just breed and cause trouble wherever they go? I can't imagine flies having different lifestyles. It's just too odd.

In the meantime, I'm going to invest in some fly swats. No creature a million times smaller than I is going to bug me without my hitting back.

3 comments:

Tan said...

This is the coolest blog I have been to ever!!REALLY!!EVERYTHING ROCKS

anfield devotee said...

wah, wei yin, a fan!

But yeah, agreed, this site rocks fer its down to earth tone & simple "this is me" vibe.

re: Flies. I FOOKING HATE FLIES. I start to freak out when one appears around me food simply coz in me mind, the last place that fooking fly probably visited was a pile of steaming turd!

re: me latest posting on me blog. Pls do leave a comment regarding yer memory of Broadwalk. TQ

re: tse yuen, steady boy, she's married . . . assuming yer a bloke that is.

weiyin69 said...

ahlo, tse yuen is my little nephew lar, anfield. of course he's a big fan of mine! everything i write rocks. must give nice present when i go back to KL...

anfield, don't come to melbourne in summer. the flies will freak out!