Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Mad About Pets



The Aussies love their pets, I mean they REALLY love their pets. You see them walking their dogs everywhere. About a quarter of the mums who pick up their kids from Joshua's school bring their dogs along. Dogs seated happily in moving vehicles and lazing under the tables of sidewalk cafes are also a common sight here.

Even shops and restaurant operators are "dog-friendly". They don't normally allow dogs in their premises but they do provide bowls of water and something that allow the owners to tie the dogs' leashes to outside the shops while their owners pop in the shops.

It's not an exaggeration to say that some of the pet owners treat their pets as if they are biologically born to them. No kidding. I know many Malaysians love their pets too but I daresay their affection is nowhere close to what I've seen here.

I've seen people carrying their pets across the street lest they get hit by other moving vehicles; I've heard about people taking sick leave when their pets are sick; I've visited pet shops with a WIDE range of stuff for pets that I'd never seen back in KL; and of course, I know these people sleep with their pets.

I had pets too. I personally love cats. But you'll never catch me calling my boss saying that I can't come to work because my cat has been puking all day. I'll probably be fired from my job.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh, I would love to use that excuse.

"Kucing sakit lah hari ini, tak boleh datang kerja, kena jaga kucing kat rumah."

maybe i can try that line while serving my notice. hehe.