Friday, August 17, 2007

Andrew's Baptism

Today, my nephew Andrew was baptised and welcomed to the Catholic Church. And I have the privilege of being his Godmother. I know, spiritually, I probably don't really qualify but I've been given the job, so I'll do my best as his companion and guide in his spiritual journey.

Anyway, the ceremony was simple yet beautiful. It was held at St Bedes Catholic Church in Balwyn North. St Bedes is also a Catholic school that Andrew is attending. Often, baptisms involved young infants. But in Andrew's case, he has made a conscious and clear decision to become a Catholic. Well, he may only be 9 but he's certainly given a lot of thoughts to that.

The ceremony was also unique in that the parish priest, the very affable and jovial Father Gregory Bennet, took the trouble to explain the important parts of the ceremony. I was baptised as a baby. So I had no recollection of what happened. The highlight was of course seeing Andrew had his head dunked in water. Joanne got really amused at that point!

And one more thing, the ceremony was actually held during the students' recess time this morning. That's right, a baptism during school hours.

Now, that was something I don't think I'll get to witness in Malaysia.

3 comments:

anfield devotee said...

Oi aunty, just search at youtube for "Namewee, Negaraku" & you will find the offending tune.

Godmother? You? Does the boy's parents know bout yer colourful barfly past? he he thought not . . .

weiyin69 said...

excuse me, my past wasn't that colourful compared to some people i know!

Anthony said...

At least colorful than mine