Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Ugly Asian Driver

I hate to say this, but on the rare occasions that I witness someone behaving rudely, the culprit is almost always Asian. I've seen Asian shoppers shouting at each other and Asian drivers fighting over a parking spot. And today, I saw an irate and impatient Asian driver blasting his car horn continuously at the car in front of him.

Well, there was a slight congestion on the road we were travelling on before he lost his cool. But it wasn't long, not even 5 minutes. If you've endured KL traffic during peak hours, this is really nothing. Anyway, this guy was right in front of me and obviously the kiasu type. And he kept honking (I actually hadn't heard that kind of honking since I left KL). Most annoying.

The driver of the white car in front of him had signalled to indicate he wanted to do a reverse side parking. By right, this idiot should've waited and let the guy in front reverse. But no. He had to show his impatience and tried to honk the guy in front of him off the road.

The other guy opened his car door and got out. Great, I thought. There was going to be a showdown, right in the middle of the road! And dear God, this guy turned out to be a burly-looking redhead wearing a dark blue jacket. He had that mean look. Clearly pissed off, he approached the rude Asian driver. Then to my surprise, I saw him whipping out his wallet and flashing a badge.

The mean-looking redhead was a cop! Ha ha ha. Oh dear. The road bully wannabe picked the wrong guy to boss around! I couldn't hear what the cop said but he obviously gave the idiot in front of him a lot to worry about. Served him right for being so darn rude! I was hoping the cop would give him a summons or something like that but I think he let him off with only a warning.

I laughed all the way home. I've read about policemen in unmarked cars. Yep, don't fool around when driving here. Of course, the kiasuism in some Asians is just too hard to curb.

3 comments:

nick m said...

I have to say this, but some of our Asian folks have quite a bit of catching up to do in the civility rankings. I would have been totally annoyed, depressed and embarrassed (all at the same time) by what you saw had I been in your shoes.

anfield devotee said...

sad but true, we Asians still hardour the delusion we are the epitome of the sopan santun culture when we actually totally fooking kurang ajar! U should got out of the car & verbally abused said China man fer bringing shame to all . . .

weiyin69 said...

i guess these bad apples were what prompted one Australian radio presenter as saying Chinese drivers are the wost in the world! and he got slammed for making such a true statement.