Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Fish Out Of Water

My sister Hui Yin started her new job at Hong Leong Bank yesterday. It is only her second job after being in the workforce for about 10 years. I say good for her.

I read her email just now. As expected, she is a bit depressed now, having had to adjust to a new workplace, new bosses, new colleagues, new everything, etc. She even described her current state of being like a fish out of water.

Well, fish, listen up. Leaving a dead-end job, or rather a job that's no longer rewarding, is the best thing you can do for yourself. Whether you've made the right choice still remains to be seen, of course. But at least you've taken that leap. If anything, it may be the right stepping stone to move elsewhere eventually. After this first leap, you'll find it easier to leap again if the need arises. Trust me. I know.

I remember my last permanent job. The pay was much better than my job before that but more was also expected of me. And I had this real "terror" title on my business card too - Senior Consultant, Content Development. Gosh, I nearly fainted when I saw that. I was merely a low profile content writer and my new employers upgraded me a few times! Perpetually worried that I couldn't live up to expectations, I hardly ever handed out my business card, even when I was supposed!

Honestly, I didn't think I could last very long there. Everything was so high tech and I was pretty intimated by the demanding clients we served. But you know what, eventually, it turned out to be the job that I stayed on the longest - 5 years - in all my years in the workforce back in KL. Things got easier as time went by, of course.

So fish, if you're reading this, know that it's normal to be depressed now. But a smart cookie like you should have no trouble getting the hang of things at the new office. Good luck! Break both legs!

4 comments:

anfield devotee said...

Hai ya, just tell yer sis to do her usual "get pissed & pass out" act at the next office party & I absolutely GUARANTEE everything will be fine . . .

weiyin69 said...

wah, your memory still that good huh? that was quite funny, wasn't it? and that was the first and last time for her too! never again, unlike moi! and i'm the eldest one ...

Unknown said...

You were actually the Senior Consultant, Content Development back there?!

Shite, if I knew that I would have shown you a helluva lot more respect!!!

LOL

weiyin69 said...

Heh heh heh. That's why I never gave out my business card! People would expect miracles from me and I'm no magician!