Saturday, August 04, 2007

Musicals And Plays

If you love musicals and plays, Melbourne is a good place to live in. There are so many such performances throughout the year.

Now, I have NEVER been to a musical or play, although I did try to catch some at the Istana Budaya in KL a couple of times. Somehow, I never did manage to attend any. I wonder if I would take a liking to them if I did.

Anyway, there are plenty here. Everywhere you go, you can see posters and advertisements announcing plays or musicals by school kids, drama school students or professional actors, singers and musicians.

They start them young here. In schools, music lessons are part of the curiculum. And many kids attend extra music or drama classes after school. And guess what? They are encouraged to perform before an audience, for instance, during the school assembly. I have attended Joshua's school assembly a few times and each time, there will be a couple of students invited to play a musical instrument for everyone in the hall. And they are pretty good. I'm certaint there will be plays and other performances at certain times of the year.

And of course, the pros are at it too. Melbourne being some sort of a centre of performing arts, you'll be able to catch well-known actors and musicians strutting their stuff on stage too. Hugh Jackman was here last year doing his The Boy From OZ tour. Too bad I hadn't arrived here yet. I would have loved to see Wolverine sing and dance on stage. Weird image. But he must have been darn good to earn a Tony Award for his role as Peter Allen in the musical.

Well, maybe next time ...



No comments: