Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Birthday

I turned 38 today. Well, the day didn't start well. It wasn't the thought of my getting closer to the grave that gave me that sinking feeling. It was the sorethroat that had been bugging me for a couple of days.

It just got worse. I felt as if a small blade had been lodged in my throat. Each time I swallowed, that was a stabbing pain. Darn, how was I to enjoy my birthday dinner? I felt drowsy and tired throughout the whole day as I did my usual house chores and got my kids ready for their little sojourn at my cousin's house for the evening.

Yep, no kids for the evening. Just me and Alex and a nice dinner and err, a seminar.

No mistake there. I did write "seminar". You see, my beloved significant other had signed us both up for a free "First-Time Home Buyer Information Seminar" for the evening. He apparently failed to note the significance of the date when he called up the organiser to book a place. He only realised that after I reminded him that Sept 26 is my birthday.

And he went "Oh, we can have an early dinner and then go to the seminar. Can you ask your cousin if we can leave the kids at her place for the evening?" That was 2 weeks ago.

That's my man. At least he was still buying me dinner. He took me to a crowded and noisy Chinese Restaurant in Richmond. No romantic mood there but the food was awesome. As I tucked into the succulent crab meat (really yummy), he actually said we could ditch the seminar if we were to really enjoy our dinner. So I deliberately took my time eating my crab.

We actually finished our dinner with 20 minutes to go before the seminar started. We could just make it if we hurried. Luckily, Alex suggested we go somewhere else - to Crown, the place to be in Melbourne. We didn't stay very long but it was nice just the two of us.

At least there's still hope for this man that I married.

3 comments:

anfield devotee said...

happy birthday again, aunty & are you sure it ain't 45? No need to be shy in cyberspace.

Don't be so hard on yer hubby la. He is trying.

weiyin69 said...

eh, i thought you'd be MIA for a while??

anfield devotee said...

yup, wed - sat in fooking hospital with NO pretty nurses. What a fooking drag . . .