Thursday, September 06, 2007

Clogged

As long as everything in the house works normally, I don't bitch about doing housechores. But if something breaks down, that's when I start behaving irrationally.

The kitchen sink had the grace to revolt against me today. The pipe draining the water out was (and still is as I'm writing this) clogged and the used water stayed put. I thought using the pumb thingie (don't know what you call that) would help drain the water out. Instead, the pump kept sucking out all kinds of filth and yucky stuff. As a result, the sink was filled with UFOs - unidentified floating objects.

And needless to say, they didn't smell too good. In the end, I had to scoop the filthy water and its weird floating companions into a pail and drain them in the garden. Literally dirty work! I called the man of the house at work who in turned called the real estate agent representing the landlord (everything is handled by the real estate, you can't go straight to the landlord) so that he could call a plumber to fix the darn thing. Instead, the smart alec suggested the use of some corrosive powder to dissolve the filth and flush it out.

Tried that. Didn't work. Alex used the pump thingie like I did earlier, hoping that would help. Gosh, more UFOs surfaced. And this time, they looked even filthier.

I was a picture of gloom and doom the whole evening. Imagine washing your dishes in the laundry room. So inconvenient. Not surpringly, no one offered to help me. It took me longer than usual to finish my chores.

Bad day. The real estate agent had better get us a plumber tomorrow.

3 comments:

anfield devotee said...

Bad scene . . . poor aunty. Shouldn't a clogged sink be an excuse to go out to the pub fer grub & some pre/post-dinner drinks?

Sangeeta said...

Ya they like using that corrosive powder thingie to unclog drains here, but it's not that effective.

weiyin69 said...

anfield: for the zillionth time, i wish i could ...

metria: it worked. read new blog.