Friday, September 07, 2007

Unclogged

When you get overly thrilled just watching water swirling and quickly gushing down your kitchen sink hole, you know your life is as exciting as watching grass grows. Well, that’s the kind of life I have now. A dowdy housewife, that’s me.

And I couldn’t get over the fact that I could drain the sink so easily now. In fact, it has never drained water down so fast before. I kept looking for excuses to dump water in it, sort of like making up for lost opportunities yesterday.

But seriously, having the kitchen sink working properly again is such bliss. The best part is, we didn’t need a plumber. The corrosive caustic soda powder actually worked, though it took almost 12 hours to do so.

Now I’m tempted to pour the corrosive stuff into other sink holes in the house – the bathtub, the toilet wash basin, the laundry sink, etc. It’s so darn satisfying seeing the water disappearing so rapidly.

I think it must have something to do with my childhood. My dad was a government servant with the Veterinary Department of the Malaysian Agricultural Ministry. So we moved around a lot and stayed in government quarters in real ulu places. Well, the plumping systems left much to be desired. We always had leaked or clogged sinks and toilets. It was part and parcel of our lives then.

Imagine our relief when we finally moved out of those government quarters and lived in a house in which everything worked properly. I suppose yesterday’s blockage was a grim reminder of the inconveniences I experienced earlier in my life. Not that terribly harsh but not comfortable either.

Well, I’m glad that’s over and now I know what to do when something else gets clogged again. (Apparently I was the clueless one on this because my sister just told me she’s unclogged many sinks before!)

I guess the real estate agent knew what he was talking about after all. My sincerest apologies to him.

No comments: