Saturday, September 08, 2007

Invasion Of The Weeds

It's definitely getting warmer, though it's still pretty chilly early in the morning and once the sun disappears from the horizon in the evening. Sometimes, it actually gets so warm it feels like summer is already here! Which is ridiculous, of course, since that's another 3 months away.

Having got used to such nice cool weather here, I'm quite certain I won't be able to stand the constant heat back in Malaysia. No wonder those who've lived here for years always find it hard to get used to the hot and humid conditions in Malaysia.

Anyway, now that spring is here, flowers are blooming. Unfortunately, those cherry blossoms I loved so much are mostly gone now. But other plants and flowers are picking up where cherry blossoms have left off. And these include weeds.

They are EVERYWHERE! And there are all types too. The only consolation is that many of them come with nice little flowers - white ones, yellow ones, purple ones, round fluffy ones, etc. So they are kind of nice. But weeds being weeds, I'd rather not have them at all. God knows what lurk underneath them if I allow them to multiply!

During winter, the weeds seemed to be in an arrested development phase. So there wasn't much for me to do in the backyard. But now, to my chagrin, they are all experiencing some sort of growth spurt! And there are some weeds I'd never seen before too. As a result, my backyard is now overgrown with them. Tending to the garden is certainly no picnic. By the time I finish weeding out the entire plot, I'll have to start all over again. They are growing faster than I can get rid of them!

Little wonder almost every household here has a lawn mower. I think it's certainly time we invested in one too.


No comments: