Sunday, September 30, 2007

Karaoke Night

A few days ago, I posted on my blog about how great my neighbourhood was because there was no dreadful karaoke singing around. Well, I spoke too soon.

Our Vietnamese neighbours had a huge party last night and you've guessed it, karaoke singing was part of the programme. Those who know me well know that I have this aversion to karaoke singing.

Don't get me wrong. It's fun to hop into one of those karaoke lounges to make fools of ourselves in the company of good friends. However, if karaoke singing leaves the boundaries of those lounges, it gets really crappy. Especially if the crooner is tone deaf but insists of assaulting the ears of others.

I should know. I lived in a neigbourhood rife with awful karaoke singers who were so inconsiderate of others. Heck! I even lived with one, someone who is closely related to my husband. I had to tolerate that kind of dread on a daily basis. It's little wonder I love living in Australia, far away from the maddening noise.

Anyway, our Vietnamese neighbours and their friends just reminded me of the horror I used to endure. They were terrible singers. It was quite a surprise because we've lived here for 10 months and that was the first karaoke assault we had. Hmm, maybe it won't happen so often.

And mercifully, the neighbours had the decency to stop their howling and croacking at 11.30pm sharp. Guess they were still more considerate than their fellow karaoke enthusiasts in Malaysia. Thank goodness for that!

3 comments:

anfield devotee said...

Sound proofing, perhaps? Or you might want to start a little karaoke war with yer Vietnamese naighbours by showcasing yer own unique vocal "talents" . . .

anfield devotee said...

woi, aunty, pls leave comment regarding the two vids I posted. Easy-listening & fairly commercial stuff but I happen to like . . . Look forward to yer comments

Bernard said...

Its a world wide disease I'm afraid, this neighbouhood karaoke thing. Even bigger than AIDS I believe...Instead of a karaoke war, I'm sure Mr. Bala can recommend you some decent speed metal to scare your neighours & everybody else into submission!!