Sunday, October 28, 2007

Cyber Grandma

At the grand old age of 62, Mum has finally joined the cyberworld. Thanks to my sister Hui Yin's kind donation of an old but still usable computer, my mother can now communicate with my sisters and me via email.

Understandably, there were a few hiccups when Mum started her "lessons" with my youngest sister Wei Wei. But soon, she got the hang of it. She can access her email and reply us. Things will certainly be easier. I can send pictures of us here in Melbourne to her quickly. We told her about chatting online but Mum isn't too keen. Chatting requires fast typing and her fingers are kind of stiff these days. Well, fret no. Emails are just as good.

Her access to the Internet also means she can read my blogs anytime she wants. Fabulous. Now I don't have to repeat myself when I speak to her on the phone. Of course, there's ONE major drawback - it also means I have to be extra careful with my language while posting my blogs. No more swear words - not that I swear that much - but that's a small price to pay. As long as Mum can easily read about my life in Melbourne here, that's good enough for me.

And you blokes out there who use colourful languages while commenting on my blogs, well, try not to go overboard! Though I think my mother has the sense of humour to appreciate those ... err as long as they don't come from me, I think.

That's just a start. I remember how backward I was too 10 years ago. Now I can't imagine life without the Internet and email. I'm sure Mum will agree with me soon. Since she has quite a lot of time on her hands (when my littlest nephew JJ isn't there to spice up her life, that is), she can start prowling the cyberworld soon. Who knows, she may soon start downloading Golden Oldies tunes from YouTube!

Now, if only we can get Dad to show the same enthusiasm ...

2 comments:

anfield devotee said...

Eh, fooking censorship la this. Saya bantah!

weiyin69 said...

ha ha. no worries. i already forewarned the granny of the possibility of stumbling upon x-rated stuff here, especially in the comments section!