Thursday, October 25, 2007

Pokemon Rule

These days, Joshua lives, breathes, eats, drinks, sleeps and dreams of nothing but Pokemon. Apparently, he and some of his school chums had formed their own Pokemon Club too. That's fine with me. Kids love to have fun after all.

But what drives me bonkers is Joshua's incessant need to "battle" with Joanne. This is some Pokemon exercise in which Pokemon trainers try to capture a wild Pokemon or compete with another Pokemon trainer.

Sometimes, Joanne amuses Joshua by playing along. Other times, she is not keen. That's when Joshua will start a shouting match with his sister. Beats me but he is pretty bossy and demands that Joanne plays Pokemon with him when she'd rather play with her girly toys.

That's not all. Joshua has also started "creating" his own Pokemon. Now these new creations of his have their own names and their special abilities. He can even describe how they look like or what they are going to evolve into (It seems that evolution among Pokemon is the norm). Fine, as long as he's happy with his own kind of Pokemon.

But no. Our friend was not happy with that. Last week, he insisted that I create some Pokemon of my own too (slapping hand on forehead)! And he wouldn't leave me alone until I'd created a few of those pocket monsters. And of course, naming them alone wasn't good enough. I had to describe how they looked like and what special abilities they had.

I've forgotten most of the gibberish stuff I churned out to silence Joshua. But I remember one that I named Tarantulo. You've guessed it. It looked like a spider and was armed with poison. Joshua was apparently pleased with Tarantulo.

See what having kids can turn you into? Now I'm supposedly a Pokemon fan too, according to my son ...

3 comments:

Bernard said...

Oooo looks like your son has something in common with my 9 year old & his cousin. These 2 fellas play only pokemon on their gameboy & seem to have nothing to talk about other than the damn midgets. Their interest has rubbed off on my other son also but then that's expected as he hangs out with them more often than not. Good thing though is that they don't bother Doris or I like how your Joshua does, ie. imaginary characters, charateristics etc., other than to buy this book, video or game. Of course the expensive purchases are limited to special occassions so its "farn pan" stuff otherwise.

At least it shows Joshua has an active & creative imagination...he might make a good game software developer in future. These fellas make a decent penny you know.

anfield devotee said...

aunty, pls check out the "I, Malaysian?" post on me blog & watch the video. You'll be fooking glad you no longer stay in this fooking shithole they call Malay-sia ie Malay-first . . .

weiyin69 said...

bernard: you're so lucky the kids don't force you to play along!! i tell you, i behave like a juvenile sometimes. ppl must think i'm nuts!
yes, joshua is very imaginative, sometimes a bit too much!

anfield: will watch that video when i have time. these days time limited. and i have difficulty logging into blogger too. don't know why!